Monday, June 30, 2008

questo ho imparato

// this, I have learned

  • If you can't fix it with duct tape; you can fix it with Betadine.
  • If you want an Italian guy to come onto you, learn Italian and speak it with a cute accent, stumbling over your 'r's when you say 'tre'.
  • Apparently I look German, Russian, Czech and/or Swedish, but definitely not Australian. It's the pale skin that throws them.
  • I speak Italian with a German accent.
  • If you want a waiter to stop being an asshole, ask him/her how to say something in their native language; suddenly they see you as an intelligent, thoughful, cultured person instead of a tourist.
  • The best travel clothing in the world is made of New Zealand wool by Icebreaker.
  • The best walking shoes in the world come from Singapore and cost about 7 dollars.
  • The ugliest jewellery in the world is in Italy.
  • People will line up for two hours at the Hard Rock cafe, rather than order a pasta dish at the good Italian restaurant next door.
  • The French are not that rude.
  • The English and the Italians are.
  • You don't need a guide book to tell you how to get there, you need it to help you decide where to go.
  • Even if you end up buying cat food instead of tuna, supermakets are pretty much the same anywhere and therefore are a great cure for homesickness.
  • Siestas rule.
  • All the beaches in Europe are pretty shit. Even if you think you have found a nice one, you will change your mind when the fifth plastic bag floats gaily past you and the umbrella man charges you 8 euro for some shade.
  • Ozzie Osborne has brought a new song out, and he really shouldn't have.

1 comment:

eleanor bloom said...

Wow. There's some great tips here. Especially the ones concerning Italian guys and waiters. If I meet a rude Italian waiter in Perth any time soon I will know what to do!

The French aren't too rude to Aussies, but when we were there when I was a kid my parents made sure I kept my mouth shut as I had a terrific American accent. I was covered with the Australian flag and taught how to say "I'm Australian" in French, to ensure good treatment.