Monday, November 3, 2008

cool runnings

Near Riga in Latvia is the bobsledding track used by the Latvian olympic team for practise. Arcing down a steep hill, with views of a forested valley showing off her autumn colours, the track is like a white plume of smoke snaking away to certain death. Travel insurance double checked, Taro, Steve (also from our hostel) and I stood at the top of this dubious adventure trail and made jokes about "feeling very olympic today".

There were no release forms to sign, just a couple of dudes who said "ok we go now", jammed helmets onto our heads and then told us where in the bobsled to sit.

One, push ‑ pull, two, push‑pull, just like in Cool Runnings, good to know the movies are accurate sometimes...or wait...maybe these guys just SAW it in the movie? Too late to back out, 'treeee!' is Latvian for three and the guy was yelling it.

The ground dropped away and my head was pushed down by the force of the descent; my job as the second person was to make sure my helmet didn't slam into the pilot's. We were thrown around the first corner and the freezing air dragged tears from my eyes, drying them off almost instantly. I heard myself laughing as we hit the second corner, the turns were too fast to prepare for and it was like being bodyslammed by a crowd of Rugby fans. I was glad of the helmet as it hit the sides at every turn, but didn't hit the pilot, good work! A few more corners, the slope dropping away beneath us and the sled hitting 100km per hour, my heart quite literally crawling somewhere around in my stomach, the exhilarated yells of the guys behind me and my own voice echoing in my ears; persistent laughter and there we were, safely at the bottom.

The whole thing was over in a lot less time than it took you to read about it, but judging by my maniacal giggles all along the slow home stretch, it was a pretty good way to spend 40 seconds.

Afterwards, a quick wander through town and a 2 hour train ride back to Riga at 40km per hour.

Olympic bobsledder at your service.

No comments: