Tuesday, January 20, 2009

inauguration blues

"New York is a blue state, nobody here was responsible for inflicting that man on the world."

The inauguration of Obama was a big deal, obviously. People braved temperatures well below zero to watch it live, there were car pools and buses and even limos available for hire from NYC to DC, party style with cocktails and music to pass the time. I decided that wandering down to one of the local venues that was screening it would be good enough for me, so at 11:30 I followed the crowd past Ground Zero toward Trinity Church, clouds of frozen breath sailing behind us all but a feeling of exuberance in spite of the cold.

The Church was full long before I got there but a group of people nearby welcomed me into their fold and together we went to an underground pub which had tv screens and - more importantly - beer. In typical New Yorker fashion they were friendly, asked me a ton of questions about my trip (one girl wanted to know if I was on my walkabout - nice job Baz Luhrmann) and they took it in turns leaning over to explain to me who various political players were and why their involvement in the ceremony was or wasn't a controversial choice.

Obama stuffed up the swearing in a little. The guy that gave him his lines added a few too many in there at once, most likely on purpose as they are apparently not on the same side of politics. Nobody minded, everybody loves him enough that there was a bit of a laugh and then it was forgotten. At the official announcement of the 44th president the room and indeed the country erupted into cheers.

"America, in the face of our common dangers, in this winter of our hardship... let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations."

As expected, Obama's speech was superb.

"On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord."

It's funny, there is a lot of fear in the US and especially New York about terrorism. Bush's supporters have all said that he saved the US from further terrorist attacks. But walking down the streets in Harlem or Brooklyn or Chelsea or even Manhattan, it wasn't the terrorists I was afraid of, it was the locals. No matter how black their president is, how much strength their economy manages to regain, or how many times they 'say something' when they 'see something', the people of America need to realise that the greatest threat to the US comes from her own population. The election of this president seems a great step in the right direction, but I hope he isn't expected to do it all on his own.

I kept my thoughts to myself and after the speech was over, I left my inauguration buddies and went to a nearby discount store to buy clothes of green and gold for Australia Day. God may bless America, but I thank God I was born in Australia.

No comments: