Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Gould's green pastures and the land before time

On the way to Swansea, I detoured via Goulds Country and waved the steering wheel back and forth to bring forth the ever greener vistas of pastures dotted with cattle, creeks and farm houses. At Pyengana I visited the cheese factory (of course), bought a chili infused "devilish cheese" (of course) and drove straight past The Pub in a Paddock where Slops the pig drinks beer (of course - he is a pig after all).

The wending road took me to St Columba Falls, which are only a short ten minute walk from the cap park, but a million years away from 2012. The bush swiftly turns into rainforest, and the palms, trees, moss and lichen echo the timeless majesty of their pre-historic ancestors. The falls themselves were pretty - but generally a waterfall is a waterfall so I didn't stay long. I adventured my way back through pre history, up the path sun-dappled in a Florence Broadhurst palm-frond pattern, and returned to the car to continue my journey southward. Back through St Helens, Scamander, Bicheno and down to swansea. At Swansea I stopped for a beer (happy hour - $2.50 beers - it was like being in 1999!) and then called Mandy who gave me directions to their beautiful home by the river, just across Meredith Bridge.

The homestead was just as I remembered it; the pretty diamond shaped verandah stones, the spooky cellar, the stairs up to the bedrooms on the top floor, and the "monkey tree" that James once hid way up high in when we were visiting. The home's history is literally stamped on the walls in the largest remaining original marbled wallpaper - the "marble" was hand painted. A drawing etched into a window depicts a man carrying a child across rocks - probably related to the story of a shipwreck at Maria island where many young children drowned. Mandy's decorating skills do the home justice with the furniture, the beautiful artworks, the grandkid's paraphernalia and the little touches of hospitality (perfume in the powder room, hand cream in the guest room, teacup and saucer left ready for the guest's breakfast in the morning).

We settled on the side verandah for some wine and cheese, and Mandy's amazing pickled walnuts. She recommended "A Year in a Bottle" by Sally Wise when I said I'd love to start preserving things now that I have my very own kitchen and pantry. If those walnuts are anything to go by, you can all look forward to some very yummy homemade foodie gifts in the years to come. After a dinner of roast duck and vegetables (again - amazing) we sat in the lounge room by the fire and chatted until it was time for bed.  It's a beautiful place and it was lovely to have a "night off" travelling, and just relax with old friends.

The next stop was Launceston, for which the post is half written, but I fear I will run out of time to finish before I head off to the Tarkine!

Near Pyengana, similar views to Gould's Country

No comments: