Tuesday, October 30, 2012

orange rocks, white sand, turquoise water and a very little tent

Oh! Too long since I wrote - where have I been!

Well, according to the scribbles on my map, I left the eponymous Meredith House and went to Coles Bay. True to form, I ignored Wineglass Bay. I wasn't prepared to spend 4-5 hours on hiking to see a view I've already seen in a million photos. So instead I detoured to Friendly Beaches, and also did the Lighthouse walk which was very, very windy, very high, and very pretty.

I took the requisite photos and marvelled, like so many before me, at the orange lichen on the rocks, the white sand and the turquoise water.

After a short stroll or two, I hopped back in the car and drove to St Helen's (I don't remember if the apostrophe is there or not!). I took a detour on the way via Mount Elephant. Being a sunny day, it was actually enjoyable ricocheting around the mountainside corners. The scenery changed from coastal grazing pastures to typical Aussie bush. I almost stopped at the Mt Elephant pancake restaurant, but decided against eating more than I would be walking off!

Eventually I came to St Mary's. It was a sweet little mountain town with a view to the ocean, a quilt shop, a funny little handmade bits'n'bobs shop, and not a great deal else. So, back down to the coast and on to St Helen's.

At St Helen's I asked about a good camping spot (there was sun!) and the lady recommended Jeanneret Bay. It's a little point just north of Binalong Bay, with little trees and bushes and pure white sand. There were a few families camping there so it wasn't too quiet. Not quite ready to settle down for the evening, I drove north to The Gardens and went for a little stroll along the beach. Then as the afternoon wore on, I returned to Jeanneret, pitched The World's Cutest Tent - my little Kathmandu Mono (minor brand plug there) and ate some tuna, cheese, tomato and crackers and washed it down with some local rose.

And so began a freezing cold night. My cute little tent has a cute little airway to let in the sub zero temperatures raging outside (it was actually a fairly still night, I'm just phrasing it this way for dramatic effect). I got up twice to put more clothes on, and finally pulled out my transport cover for my backpack.Through my travels, this trusty little bag has served as a second bag of luggage, a seat, a pillow, and now a sleeping bag insulator. Finally I was warm and I drifted off to sleep with the sound of the waves crashing on either side of me.

The World's Cutest Tent
In the morning, as I was packing up my tent, I had a phone call from Mar which was lovely. We had a chat and then I finished packing up, ate my cereal and yoghurt breakfast on the beach, and got back in the car for the journey back to Swansea to see the Burburys.

Friendly Beaches

Friendly Beaches

No comments: