Saturday, July 12, 2008

prendo il pene arrabbiata

//i would like an angry penis please

The waitress handled it well. She blinked at me for a moment before recovering and asking in Italian if I realised that it was a spicy dish. I nodded and said I did, stifling a giggle as a I realised that my accent obviously hadn't been quite right.

In Italian, "penne arrabbiata" is a spicy pasta dish, while "pene arrabbiata" is an angry penis, which I'd just ordered in good, but not quite good enough, Italian. The difference is subtle but significant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I feel exhausted after having not two, but FOUR southern seagulls feeding around my waterhole for the last two days!! Drank all my wine, ate all my food, and even blocked my septics!! They are now off to Mt Augustus like the good catholics they are!
If we are lucky it might rain again and close all the roads in the district...
Just be careful where you put the hot chillies, Kara!!!
Grumps...