Monday, July 7, 2008

uno di tanti

//one of many

There are some things that even the least observant person will notice after only a few days in Italy. The first thing that becomes apparrent is that all the cities in Italy share the same major street names, mostly relating to the unification of Italy. The second is that the Leaning Tower of Pisa is anything but unique. Almost every town has a building somewhere that leans dangerously; the only difference is that Pisa's started doing it during construction.

I'm in Pisa today but am confined to the train station. I have a couple of hours here until my next train but today there is a train and bus strike (scopiero) which apparently affects not only (most of) the trains, but also the baggage deposit lockers. In Italy, even the machines want in on the sciopero. So, rather than carry my luggage on the hour long round‑trip from the station to a tower that I've already seen (and wasn't that impressed by), I'm sitting here in Maccas, listening to music and typing this.

I'm on the way to Torino from Florence. One night in Torino and then a week in Aosta where I hope to get in a bit of adventure sport (nothing too dangerous mum, just white water rafting). My frist trip to Florence in 2002 left me cold, but this time around I had a lot more fun. I met up with Maaike and two of her friends, so we spend a night drunkenly wandering the streets of Florence, giving directions to tourists and visiting all the major sights in the moonlight. Pretty cool having the Duomo to ourselves at 1am. We failed in our attempt to find an open bar, instead we drank on the streets which, thankfully, is perfectly legal here.

In spite of enjoying myself, there isnt much to say about Florence. There were some cool shops and a funky bar slash library, and I had the best lasagne of my life there. Oh, and Maaike and I had a picnic on the bridge overlooking the Ponte Vecchio. Yeah.

No comments: